Friday, April 18, 2008

Beans 'n' Rice

Sometimes people think I'm joking when I tell them we had beans and rice for dinner. (I don't usually volunteer this information. But if someone asks...) Friend: What are you cooking for dinner tonight? Me: Oh, beans and rice. Friend: Yeah...beans and rice. [some chuckling]

I love beans and rice! Mostly black beans and lately I'm hooked on brown basmati rice. (It really does smell like popcorn while it cooks. No, seriously.) Last night we had:

Black Beans and Brown Basmati Rice
Cook together 2 cans rinsed and drained black beans, some minced garlic, 1 c. of chopped tomatoes, cumin, some chopped fresh cilantro, salt, and pepper. Serve over rice or stir it altogether. Expecting something fancy? This is a pot of beans. Over rice.

I very occasionally will soak and cook dried beans. I've experimented cooking them all day in a slow cooker without soaking, and that works ok. Since brown rice takes so long to cook, I often cook it in the morning before I go to work and reheat it later.

Last night I sprinkled my BnR with pumpkin seeds. Tasty!

No comments: